Automatically add current tag selection to notes created via new note button/Ctrl-Alt-N
Mod edit: adjusted title to cover the case described by Miguel, check comments for how to achieve the same thing via double-bracket linking
When I create a new note, if I have a filter applied (e.g. I'm working under the tag #personal/house/cat_project), I'd like the new note to "assume" or have the same tags.
Example: Bear (Mac OS) has this behavior and works really well.
Refer to this tweet and let us know if this suits your needs: https://twitter.com/amplenote/status/1425361315372191745
It does! However I'd still like this suggested behavior which mimics Apple Notes / Bear etc.
Hey there Miguel, thank you so much for clarifying! I have marked your suggestion as "Under consideration". As a general preference, we err on the side of not adding tags automatically, because in most cases we've identified it is more annoying to have to manually remove something unwanted (a propagated tag) than to have to manually add it.
This is also why we support tag propagation via double-braket linking - since linking to a note from the current note more directly correlates with a desire to remain in the same "context".
In any case, the dev team will now be able to properly consider your suggestion, so we shall await their wisdom!
I'd like to suggest considering this, too.
My workflow is:
- I'm working on my "House Hunting" project, which I have a tag set up as #projects/house-hunting
- I have the #projects/house-hunting tag selected on the side-bar, so I can see my "House Hunting Tasks" note, my "Potential Listings" note, etc.
- I realize I need to figure out my budget, so I want to add a "House Budgeting Calculations" note with the tag #projects/house-hunting
Right now I have to either:
1. Ctl-Alt-N to create a new note. This deselects the #projects/house-hunting so I have to re-click the tag field and remember the tag name, then re-click the tag in the side bar.
2. Click Jot mode, which deselects the tag in the sidebar and also prevents me from editing the title of my new note. So this actually doesn't work.
3. Create the note by linking to it from one of my existing notes and inheriting the tag. To do this I'd probably end up creating an Index note, which seems to be reinventing the sidebar functionality.
Yes please!! If the idea is that tags can be used to "simulate" folders, this is what "folder people" expect: If you're "in" a folder and you create a new note, that note will be created inside that folder.
Maybe a separate keyboard shortcut?
Lucian's link does not solve it for me :(